Since around 6 months pregnant, I told myself and others that I thought I would go into labor at 40 weeks and 3 days. It was stuck in my head, my mindset was set on delivering little Walker boy at 40.3 and I did just that. I scheduled an induction for Thursday, the very next day, so maybe that helped get things started naturally as well because I really didn’t want to be induced this time. Thankfully Jay insisted that his mom take the older boys the night before so that “just incase I went into labor” we would be ready to go!

Wednesday August 26th, 2020 I woke with anxiety around 4 am. All I could think about was going into labor that day, and it was already 4 am so it needed to happen soon! Just like that, contractions started up feeling more like mild cramps and happening every 5-10 minutes. This went on for about 2 hours as I laid in bed, passing the time. I got up and ready for the day around 7am, when contractions started to pick up about every 3-5 minutes apart and building some intensity. I sat on the ball for about two hours while this went on, and continued to ask Jay if he thought I was actually in labor?? (I somehow always do that, even when I’m in labor I still ask if this is happening because it’s just so surreal)

Around 9am, I called my OB office to let them know that I was in labor and contractions were pretty steady for about 2 hours. To my disappointment, our hospital was full and they weren’t able to take me as a patient and if I really thought I was in labor I’d have to go to a different hospital within our insurance network. This instantly sent a rush of anxiety over me, and I now had to prepare to deliver at a completely different hospital, with a completely different doctor that I’ve never met. I wasn’t going to let that ruin my experience however, and I trusted in God to help get me through this.

I ended up going to Maple Grove Hospital (where several of my friends have delivered). They check us into triage, where they checked me and I was dilated to 4cm which was 2cm more than what I was at my appointment on Monday! It was time to have a baby.

I had told the health care team that I was having this baby unmedicated, and they were so respectful of my wishes. The Doctor that would be delivering Walker, said “We are here for you all day, as long as you need” and that truly made all the difference in the world. To know that I was respected and supported. We then got to our room and continued to labor while we watched “In the Dark” on Netflix which helped immensely with distraction.

I was most concerned about not progressing, as with every other birth I’ve had Pitocin to help move things along. However, my mindset this time was in a completely different place. I was ready to birth this baby unmedicated. I could do it. I was doing it. And nothing was going to stop me.

Things I kept telling myself were..

“Open mouth, open cervix”

“I can do hard things”

“Relax my jaw”

“I can get through anything for a minute”



After two hours of laboring in our room, the nurse came to check on me and I asked for her to check my cervix. I was now 5cm and making progress on my own! Contractions this time were sooo different that when I’ve been on Pitocin. I could manage the pain. I could get through the pain. A contraction would come and I would breath and push into it, focusing on the pain and opening my cervix more and then the pain would be gone and I could go about my day like nothing was happening. Previous births, my pain would stay while on Pitocin, and I would never catch a break. This was by far the best part of an unmedicated birth.

Another two hours went by and I was now 6-7cm. Getting closer to transition. Our hospital allowed one partner and one support person. We said she was our doula, but she was also our friend and birth photographer. I waited til about 7cm to call her up to the room to give Jay and I the time we needed to labor alone. Once she got there, another hour went by and things started to get intense. I knew I was in transition as my body began to shake and I started to get cold. Contractions were very intense and lasting about a minute or longer, making me tear up and really needing to focus on getting through them. Hands and knees was the best position for me to help baby move down, and I really believe that worked the best because shortly after I called the nurse into the room to check me and I was 8cm. I told her I then wanted the Doc to come break my water. She called him into the room and said things would get intense, real quick, and they did.

The Doc came in, moments later, broke my water, checked me, and said I was complete, it was time to have a baby! It happened so fast both Jay and I didn’t know that I was already ready to start pushing. We had to do a double take and Jay even asked if we were pushing for practice or pushing for a baby!! lol

Ten of the most excruciating minutes I’ve ever been through and five pushes later, Walker Hawkins Wagamon was born. 9 pounds 12 ounces of squishy newborn goodness. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever done, but I did it and I’m so damn proud of myself.

Despite delivering at a different hospital, everything worked out as it should. God is so so good. The nurses were all amazing and supportive. It was my first time with a male doctor, and he exceeded my expectations. He didn’t rush me, or ask to break my water or start an induction. He let me be and labor on my own and I am so thankful for that. He was a little surprised to find that I had epidurals with my first three and then decided to do this one stone lol but his supportive demeanor will be something I will always remember. Looking back, it was so perfect. The entire day. It is something that I will cherish forever and a birth that I will never forget. And if you asked me if I’d do it over again, unmedicated, I would say YES one thousand times over!

Thanks for stopping by, if you have questions DM me or leave a comment below! I always love your support and encouragement!

xoxo Mari @mariwags

Read more on Mari's blog: https://www.wagawoodsandgoods.com/blog/2020/10/5/birth-walker-wagamon